Harris Communications Advisor Robert Langer Founds Blend Therapeutics
|January 6, 2012||Posted by Anharris under Cool Companies, HarrisCom News, Health, Innovation, Life Science|
Life Science Startup to Target Multiple Disease Mechanisms
I’m pleased to report that Harris Communications Group Advisory Board Member Robert Langer of MIT is involved in yet another life science startup.
It’s a biotech company called “Blend Therapeutics” that will develop a new class of medicines possessing “unprecedented ability to precisely control each agent’s therapeutic action in concert… ” The goal is to “predictably, effectively, and safely target the multiple mechanisms underlying complex diseases, ” according to a press release.
Blend was founded by three leaders in the fields of chemistry and nanomedicine: Langer, who is David H. Koch Institute Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Stephen J. Lippard, PhD, Arthur Amos Noyes Professor of Chemistry at MIT; and Omid Farokhzad, MD, Director of the Laboratory of Nanomedicine and Biomaterials and Associate Professor of Anesthesia, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School.
Blend has received financial backing from Flagship Ventures, New Enterprise Associates and NanoDimension.
Langer said: ” We see unparalleled opportunity to translate innovative science into important drugs for patients in need, and we’re excited by the strength of our founding investors and management who share our vision of building a successful biotechnology company that is foremost about improving the lives of patients.”
In addition to Langer, Lippard and Farokhhzad, Blend’s Scientific Advisory Board includes eight thought leaders in the fields of chemistry, cancer biology, immunology and medicine:
• Dennis Ausiello, MD, Chief of Medicine and Jackson Professor of Clinical Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School
• Philip Kantoff, MD, Chief Clinical Research Officer and Professor of Medicine, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School
• Alexander Klibanov, PhD, Novartis Professor of Chemistry and Bioengineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology;
• Ulrich von Andrian, MD, PhD, Mallinckrodt Professor of Immunopathology, Harvard Medical School
• Bruce R. Zetter, PhD, Charles Nowiszerski Professor of Cancer Biology, Children’s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School.
MaestroTM is a trademark of Blend Therapeutics, Inc. More information is available at http://www.blendtx.com.
—Anita M. Harris
Anita Harris is the president of Harris Communications Group, a Cambridge, MA public relations firm specializing in strategic marketing communications, thought leadership and social media for companies involved in health, science, technology and energy, worldwide. She also blogs at newcambridgeobsersver.com.